If Dali were fashion...

If Dali were fashion...

martes, 2 de febrero de 2010

Shoes Glorious Shoes!

It´s time. The blog entry of all blog entries. My lifelong pastime, current passion, and far and away future. Shoes. Shoes shoes shoes! There is nothing, perhaps besides my cute boyfriend in a tight shirt, that can make me drool like a shiny new pair of towering stilletos. All colors, shapes, and sizes, shoes are my favorite. Now I know I have said this about rings, and will probably say it later about bags, but shoes, shoes are it, I am speaking the truth, straight from the depths of my soul. Speaking of soul...shoes are my soulmates. Y esta.

This spring...I am having some conflictions about the new trends. The major things I can conclude after seeing the designers new spring lines is that metallics and brights are definately in. I previously mentioned the clog and its comeback. Animal print seems to be here to stay. The gladiator sandal as well, especially with thicker straps. Cutouts and peep toes are big again. The next big thing is the strappy look, but don´t think wedding sandal, its much more modernized this season with a sky high heel. However, I am confused because Manolo Blanhik, shoe god, has been quoted saying that platforms are over. He has refused to include a single platform shoe in his spring line. Apparently the new thing is super high sans platform, or completely flat.
Now to combat this statement, I have seen several designers with platforms in their lines.
For example Betsey Johnson has several. Or if you look at the McQueen designs below...enough said...!!!

After many hours of pondering (I spend a large amount of time on public transportation), I have come to the conclusion that platforms are a personal trend choice. If you want to go with it, go with it. If you feel it to be morally wrong, don´t be a supporter. But don´t be a hater either. Everyones got the right to their own personal footwear style choice. (are we talking about politics, or shoes here?!)

So what I am posting below is a sample of the newest and most expensive designer footwear. However, for those of us who don´t have large pocketbooks (aka me for example!) and can´t afford a 1,000 dollar pair of shoes, I recommened Zara for cheap trendy shoes in Spain, and in the USA, Dillards and TJ Maxx. As far as brands, Nine West is an affordable brand that always is right on with the trends, as does BCBG girls. I am also going to post some Jeffery Campbell options which are not cheap but also not super expensive, and also Michael by Michael Kors is reasonable.

One more tip. You can never, ever go wrong with a black, sexy heel. Ever. Same with the LBD, little black dress.

I would like to start off with Alexander McQueen, because his 2010 spring runway collection actually sends a very specific message. He presents a view about the future of our world and the future of fashion, more specifically our world´s future meltdown due to global warming. His collection, ´Waterworld´which included way more than just shoes, showcased the human race evolving as the polar icecaps melt. The silhouettes were based on fish, reptiles and skeletons, and thise alien-like looks
epresent the population of our world forced to live in the sea as global warming continues.
Exaggerated? Maybe. Bossy? Absolutely. Wearable? Just ask Lady Gaga!



These gem covered stilletos (can I even call them stilletos? They like, have their own organs and are alive and breathing!) are obscene, and just would I would expect from the eccetric McQueen. Especially on this scrawy model leg...they would be much more suited to a more musclular leg ahem...like mine perhaps? But where would I ever wear them? I can´t really picture myself in La Manduca with these...





















We can absolutely see the reptile sea creature vision here that McQueen is going for. I personally actually really like these. My own prediction is that there will be many, tamer of course, copy cat styles of this shoe to come. I can´t wait to see the Payless version of these bad boys!!!



















These platforms (yes, we see platforms...Mr. Manolo...Mr. Alexander´s talkin back to you!) are actually slightly more wearable than some of the above designs. We can see the metallic trend, though its got sort of an earthy vibe to it, its almost ´dirty´in a sense.























Are we sure that Gaudi didn´t design these? Perhaps McQueen took a brief trip to the Casa Batllo en Barcelona? (pictured below for comparison, of course). I absolutely see that sort of fish skeleton thing going on here. Again, wearable, not so much but totally eyecatching, yes.








Casa Batllo, Barcelona. You can´t see the roof but its supposedly made of fish scales. The windows at the bottom are apparently representing fish bones or spines. I often hear designers say they take their design aesthetic or inspiration from architecture so this doesn´t surprise me!






Finally...the look we´ve all been waiting for...Lady Gaga wearing McQueen platforms...which I will also include a pic of below. If you want more, youtube the ¨Bad Romance¨video and thats where she is wearing these, among many other crazy outfits and shoes!





These are just crazy...I could like, blast off to outer space in these...I can´t really say much except if Lady Gaga rocks them, they are just...too cool.

And now...we start with something slightly more conventional....








These booties by Jimmy Choo are so hot. They are a great spring update to a winter look. They have have a really subtle sexiness to them that I just love.
















Here is a perfect example of the bright, strappy sandal I was hinting towards when discussing trends. I just love yellow, and what a way to yell out ´summer is coming´than a bright yellow heel!















Okay so obviously I had to include some flats here, not to mention I love flats. These metallic gold ones with starred cutouts are adorable. I am already seeing knockoffs here in Spain.












The Manolo Blahniks are so pretty and classy and the dots are just great. But not overdone. Sometimes polka dots can be lame but these are done, really really well.






















So keeping with the bright, strappy trend, these lovely hot pink Manolos are so much fun. I can just imagine them with a LBD (little black dress, learn it, use it, preach it) stunning passerby´s on New York City sidewalks. Or Madrid´s uneven cobblestone streets.










Añadir imagenThese are both from Christain Louboutin. Brights, super tall, metallic, we can see it all. I would love to have these sitting in my tiny little Spain closet.

These are both also Louboutin. I can really see a consistent theme in his line, yet each shoe is distinctly different, which I really appreciate. I always think of JLo when I think of Louboutin´s...maybe it´s that new song of hers. In any case, the 4 pairs of shoes are truly gorgeous. And versatile.




So on the more affordable side we have Jeffrey Campbell, which I adore. This particular shoe is more than a gladiator sandal, its almost like a boot with cut outs. Not sure if its quite my style but I know I will this type of shoe a lot around Europe this spring.












Ahhhh and the Jeffrey Campbell clog. Still sorta deciding my view on this. Please people tell me what you think? Ugly? Fabulous? With or without socks???













These styles are all from the Tory Burch 2010 spring line. I love the wrap around the ankle ties. I think all of the designs are wearable and very chic.












These brand new Nanette Lepore looks are straight off the runway. I know the images are small but you get the idea...BRIGHT COLORS. The second look with the yellow dress actually has a floral patter on the shoes, which is really different.













To end out this post I wanted to pay some hommage to my all time favorite project runway designer, Christian Siriano. These shoes are beautiful and I love the sort of 3 strap Mary Jan look on the top two and the beige ones on the bottom right with that extra material. The reptile ones look like slightly less crazy versions of the McQueen line.

To conclude, this spring, you can´t go wrong with a bright pair of heels (platform or not!) or some cute metallic flats. Most stores are just coming out with their spring lines in Madrid so once rebajas are out...the search for the perfect spring shoe can begin!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario