If Dali were fashion...

If Dali were fashion...

jueves, 11 de febrero de 2010

Fashion as Art...or is it Art as Fashion???

When people ask me what it is that attracts me to fashion, I explain that, to me, fashion is a form of artistic expression. Just as I love to see sculptures and paintings, to watch students draw the entrance to the Museo del Prado, or to snap photos of everyone and everything, hoping to create beauty, I love to observe what type of art people are putting on themselves. To me, the body is the canvas and the clothes are the paint.


So whether or not you agree, I think art is fashion and fashion is art. I specifically truly love artistic fashion photography. So this blog entry will be decided to some of the coolest fashion photos I could find...I think these photos absolutely create art.

Special kudos to a good friend, Ashley Zeltzer, who´s an incredible artist, photographer, designer, and more...you´ll see some specific photo shoutouts to her below.



I´d like to start with one of my favorite fashion photographers, Richard Avedon. A European photographer, he started his fashion photography during World War 2 and really changed the way woman were photographed, using new, innovative technologies and camera angles. He passed away in 2004, having contributed so much to the industry. This particular photo is magical. It´s like she´s flying through the streets of Paris. Although this photo was taken a long time ago, her coat and shoes are timeless, I would wear them now. I also love how the model seems more mature...fashion isn´t just from skinny 19 year old models!

This is another favorite of mine from Richard Avedon. To me, I see a cat and mouse kinda thing going on here. I love the black and white outfits as well. She seems so graceful, like a ballerina!







This photo and also the one below were taken by Miles Aldridge, for a Vogue Italia shoot in the May 2008 issue. I adore the colors used, and I love the whole, coutour fashion meets crazy cat lady vibe going on.















I just love the combination of pinks with the orange in this photo, the flowers, everything...Miles captures color in a really special way...there is a certain softness to this photo I adore, and its pretty hard to make orange soft!
















This is from the movie ´Marie Antoniette´. Kirsten Dunst is pictured here with gobs of sweets and cakes...I want to be her!











Vogue Italia really has the best fashion photography. The texture and shapes in this photo are what really caught my eye. It´s very unique. This image was taken by Tim Walker in the Jan. 2008 Vogue Italia.













This image was taken by a Swiss photographer, Patrizia di Renzo. I like it because the models seem to have this whole mime quality going on, which I find really different and interesting. She seems kind of superheroish even!





I actually have no idea who took these photos but I had to post them because they have a lot of emotion and I really just like the way the close hang on the body, there is a lot of volume and shape. So props to unknown photographer!!!
















The above two pictures are very special because they come from a very dear and talented friend, Ashley Zeltzer. The geisha picture is actually her-beautiful! It´s so cool because in real life she has blond hair! The top picture is gorgeous, I love the way her hair is mussed and her neck is covered with that collar necklace thing, it´s stunning. Ms. Zeltzer is an extremely talented young lady and if you want to see more, you can check out her website at www.ashzelly.com
These pictures are only a very small portion of the many things she is capable of doing with graphic design, photography, animation, and more!




This next image...I just love this dress, and the ruffles, and the vertical camera angle. The photographer is Japenese, Satoshi Saikusa. I like that my eyes are immediately just drawn to the ruffles of her dress. I imagine it to be hot pink!



















SO this is kinda creepy but cool at the same time. Yeah anyone that knows me knows I have this weird obsession with ocean marine life...so the fish, plus her eye makeup...way cool.








These are hair show pictures are so amazing. Photographed by Babak, the hair alone is incredibly artistic, not to mention the clothes, makeup, lighting, etc.






Another hairshow by Babak. I love not only the hair but the shoes in the middle contrasting the white dress, its just so eye catching.





To end out my art fashion photog entry, I put up this picture that I just adore. Each picture alone might seem boring but together they work! I don´t know who the photographer is...so shoutout to anynomous!

If anyone has any cool shots, email them to me, and I will post them here!

xo L


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario